Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a police report?

Reports have to be taken in person either at the police station or by an officer coming to your house or the scene of the crime. To request an Officer to come to your location please call (979) 234-2727.

Is there a teen curfew?

Yes, per City Ordinance. It shall be unlawful for any person under seventeen years of age to be or remain upon any street or alley or other public place in the city after 10:00 p.m. and ending at 5:30 a.m. the next morning, unless such person is accompanied by a parent or guardian or other person having custody of such minor or unless in the performance of duty directed by such parent or guardian or other person having custody or unless such person is in lawful employment, or on a lawful errand, making it necessary to be in such places after 10:00 p.m. Provided that a child may be on the public sidewalk in front of the child’s home, with the permission of the child’s parent or guardian. (Ordinance 2011-12, sec. 1, adopted 11/8/11)

How can I get a copy of my criminal record?

Criminal records are maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

What is the law on passing an emergency vehicle stopped on the side of the road?

The new law states that when approaching ANY emergency vehicle (Police, Fire, EMS, Tow Truck, DOT Vehicle etc.) with their emergency lights activated, you must vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle; ie change lanes if you are on a multi-lane roadway. If you only have one lane then you must slow to a speed not more than 20 MPH below the posted speed limit.

Can I cut through a parking lot when traffic is heavy?

No. It is against the law to cut through any parking lot to turn onto one highway from another highway.

Can I use my phone to show proof of Insurance?

Yes, you can use a smartphone or tablet to show your proof of insurance. By using your phone to show proof of insurance that only gives the office permission to view the proof of insurance not to search your phone. You must always carry proof of insurance with you, if you fail to have the proof with you, your subject to a citation.

How long does my turn signal have to be on to make a turn?

You must turn on your signal at least 100 feet before you make your turn or change lanes.

Can I pass a school bus, unloading children, on a road with a median?

No, you cannot pass a school bus when unloading or loading children.

Can I be arrested for a traffic violation?

Yes. Anyone can be arrested for any traffic violation except for speeding and having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle. The police officer has the discretion on how to handle each situation.